Red potatoes are chopped and roasted with herbs and lemon zest for a delicious, rustic dinner side dish!
PIN this Herb Roasted Red Potatoes recipe in your THANKSGIVING, SIDE DISH, AND WEEKNIGHT BOARDS on PINTEREST. And follow Sweet Tea & Thyme on Pinterest for more tips, hacks, and tasty recipes!
These are my famous potatoes, and this post is dedicated to cousin Jonathan and my husband Brian, who both love these potatoes like crazy.
I never knew that ‘roasted red potatoes’ was a thing when I first made this in my tiny kitchen in our first apartment in San Antonio. This wasn’t something my mama made, in fact I only heard of it through a friend on Facebook. No ‘recipe’ ,just her saying she was making roasted potatoes and she shared a photo. And it looked darn good.
So I took a crack at it. I dumped olive oil into a zip-top bag, haphazardly dumped a bunch of seasoning and herbs into it, and added lemon juice because…well, I thought it needed some lemon juice. I’m no chemist, and at that time I was barely a cook! But it worked, and worked well.
They come out crisp, yet tender, flavorful with the different herbs and lemon zest, they are basically irresistible!
Try these out for your dinner side dish, but make sure to make a lot, or you may have some fights over who gets the last bit at the table! These were photographed with the best roasted chicken recipe, which it pairs perfectly with for a Sunday Supper!
For more great recipes, subscribe to Sweet Tea & Thyme!
And let’s connect on social media through my FACEBOOK PAGE, TWITTER and INSTAGRAM. I love getting to know you guys!
- 3 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1/4 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, optional
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- On a large, microwave-safe plate, place potatoes in one layer and place into a microwave on high heat for ten minutes. This is optional, but helps cook the potatoes quicker.
- After removing from the microwave, dump potatoes into a gallon-sized zip-top bag (or a large mixing bowl) then add the rest of the ingredients into the bag. Zip the bag up and massage the potatoes well to coat them in the oil and herbs, or mix them in the bowl with a wooden spoon until all potatoes are coated.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet in one layer, then roast in oven for 45-50 minutes, or until potatoes are deeply golden brown and have stopped 'screaming'.
- Pull out of oven and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe!
Here are more fantastic Side Dishes!
See you in the next post!