Candied yams are a classic Southern side dish! Sweet potatoes are chopped up and sugared down, then put into the oven to become tender, caramelized, and oh, so wonderful.
Okay, I have to be honest. This recipe was hard…
…to not eat before I took this shoot. Seriously, I ate so much of the sweet potatoes that I almost didn’t have enough to take a decent photo. So I reeled it back in for y’all. I do it for y’all. This recipe is for y’all.
PIN this Candied Yams recipe in your THANKSGIVING, SIDE DISH, AND HOLIDAY BOARDS on PINTEREST. And follow Sweet Tea & Thyme on Pinterest for more tips, hacks, and tasty recipes!
But I guarantee you that I ate half of the candied yams just today.
This is my grandma’s recipe, sort of. My grandma just used butter, sugar and cinnamon on the sweet potatoes and put it in the oven. I added vanilla and some spices one time and it was like a flavor bomb that needed to be put out onto my blog. These little jewels come from the oven tender with caramelized brown sugar and amazing buttery syrup, it cannot be duplicated with a stove top recipe; not to mention the deeper, more intense flavor you get from roasting the sweet potatoes, it can only come from the oven, trust me.
Don’t think this is just for Thanksgiving, candied yams are good anytime you can find a good batch of sweet potatoes in your market. They are literally addictive; so be sure to make a double batch if necessary.
For More Thanksgiving recipes, check out:
Don’t forget to PIN these candied yams!
For more great recipes, subscribe to Sweet Tea & Thyme!
And let’s connect on social media through my FACEBOOK PAGE, TWITTER and INSTAGRAM. I love getting to know you guys!
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and largely cubed
- 1 stick, 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190.5 C).
- In a 9x9 oven-safe dish, mix together butter, sugar and cinnamon well. Use your hands (clean!) or a large spoon to toss the sweet potatoes in the butter-sugar mixture. Make sure each sweet potato is well coated in the mixture and laying in one-ish layer. It's okay if it's not completely one layer.
- Put in the oven for an hour, until potatoes are fork-tender, the sugar has caramelized, and there is a caramel syrup in the dish.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 100