These smashed potatoes are incredibly fluffy and tender on the inside, yet amazingly crisp on the outside – and loaded with garlic butter and delicious parmesan cheese. The perfect side dish to any meal!
I think I’ve found my next holiday food love: the crispy smashed garlic parm potato.
I love parmesan-garlic, it is a combination that wins on just about anything: bread, pasta, vegetables, meat. But today, potatoes are getting a heavy dose of freshly shredded parmesan cheese and garlic butter.
Oh, ho, ho. Thanksgiving better prepare itself this year for the garlic butter and parmesan.
These smashed potatoes are crazily easy and so full of flavor it’s insane. They’re fluffy inside, with crispy skins and crunchy bits covered in melted, crispy cheese, and are basically irresistible.
This doesn’t have to be just for the holidays. These were amazing in Brian’s Father’s Day meal with a pan-seared garlic butter basted New York strip steak, and they each can individually be picked up and eaten like a finger food. I can see Super Bowl Sunday now, next to the chicken wings and dips, smashed potatoes, ready to be dunked into cheese sauce or added to nachos.
Gotta make a mental note of that idea.
These are super easy, no boiling required, no crazy equipment.
Smashed potatoes are baby potatoes that are roasted in high heat, then smashed, buttered down, roasted again, then buttered down (again), covered in the parm, then broiled for a few minutes to get that crispy, crunchy goodness. Just make sure you use real parmesan, and shred it yourself. Nothing beats that fresh stuff, I promise.
Then they’re ready to eat. After, of course, generously blanketing fresh parmesan and chopped parsley.
Looking for a main dish to serve up with these smashed potatoes? Check out:
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe!
FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES, SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME!
LET’S CONNECT ON SOCIAL MEDIA THROUGH MY FACEBOOK PAGE,AND INSTAGRAM. I LOVE GETTING TO KNOW YOU GUYS!
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BECOMING A FOOD BLOGGER AND WANT TO KNOW HOW TO CREATE IT AS A LEGAL, PROFITABLE ONLINE BUSINESS WITH MULTIPLE INCOME STREAMS AND ENDLESS OPPORTUNITIES, CLICK HERE!
- 2 lbs baby red or gold potatoes, washed
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover a large baking sheet pan with foil, then spray the foil with a cooking spray, place washed potatoes onto sheet pan. Roast potatoes for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Using a potato masher or a large serving fork, sprayed with cooking spray, press the potatoes so that they flatten and break open. It's okay if they break apart a little.
- Put garlic, red pepper flakes, and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds, or until butter is melted. Brush tops of potatoes with half of the garlic butter, generously and evenly.
- Roast potatoes for about 10-15 minutes or until tops start to turn golden brown and crispy.
- Brush the rest of the butter onto the potatoes then sprinkle the potatoes with parmesan and place back into the oven. Turn the broiler on low heat (or high, if you watch cautiously) for 2-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned a little.
- Remove potatoes from oven. Garnish with parsley and remaining cheese, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Let potatoes cool slightly before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 87