Bring this pulled pork mac and cheese to your next potluck or cookout! Rich and creamy mac and cheese with that summer superstar -pulled pork- make for a match made in heaven any time of the year!
How’s y’all’s summer going, guys?
Recently, we found out that this little farmer’s market near our old church, which had this awesome barbecue joint…well, that barbecue spot is now long gone.
It had the best pulled pork mac and cheese! We were so sad!
Pulled pork cheese fries too. Oh my Lord, those were good.
If you’ve never put some mac and cheese on your pulled pork sandwich…what are you doing with your life? That’s why you’re here, right? Because you came looking for what you’ve been missing? I got you!
PIN THIS PULLED PORK MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE NOW IN YOUR SUMMER, POTLUCK, AND BBQ/COOKOUT BOARDS ON PINTEREST. AND FOLLOW SWEET TEA & THYME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE TIPS, HACKS, AND TASTY RECIPES!
If you’ve got some left over pulled pork from your last backyard BBQ, or just made one for dinner, definitely try this recipe. I don’t know what it is, but the tang and sweet from BBQ sauce, and the awesome cheesy goodness of mac and cheese, and of course, the rich, slow cooked pork to make it a ‘full meal’, as my husband says, makes pulled pork mac and cheese an overall crowd pleaser.
Take this down to your next potluck or cookout, it’s gonna be gone in a flash so make a double batch.
First, make your pulled pork. Smoke it, slow cook it, throw it in the oven, it doesn’t matter.
Pour in a little barbecue sauce, and top and swirl it into your mac and cheese, then bake and broil on low to get some crispy bits and bubbly, melted cheese.
Boom, you basically have the best thing on your plate at the cook out. Besides ribs and brisket, of course.
Looking for something to bring to the cookout? Check out:
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME’S NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, PLEASE USE THE HASHTAG #SWEETTEATHYME ON INSTAGRAM FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED!
FOLLOW SWEET TEA AND THYME ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 2 cups pulled pork
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 16 oz cavatappi pasta
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix barbecue sauce and pork together well. Set aside.
- Set a large pot of water to boil, then add pasta to boil.
- While pasta is boiling, in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, melt butter then whisk in flour to create a roux. Cook the mixture for one minute, then slowly add the milk to the roux, whisking vigorously, until the milk is completely added and the mixture is smooth. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, whisking occasionally, until the sauce is thickened slightly.
- Take the pan off the heat, add spices and cheese by the handful, keeping 1/3 of the cheese for later, mix well until all the cheese is melted.
- When pasta is ready, add it to a large bowl and pour cheese sauce over it. Stir well, then put into an oven safe 9x13 dish. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the dish. Add pulled pork and use a spoon to mix the pulled pork into the mac and cheese.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes, then turn the oven to a low broil and broil for 5 minutes to ensure browned bits of cheese and pork.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes, then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 579 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 97mg Sodium: 1218mg Carbohydrates: 53g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 27g Protein: 28g
Eden Westbrook is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind Sweet Tea and Thyme. A classically trained chef, Eden has inspired home cooks into the kitchen with cultural comfort foods, easy family-friendly eats and sweets, and glorious spreads for date night and entertaining since 2015.