Classic Tex-Mex steak fajitas, skirt steak is tenderized in a powerfully flavorful chipotle-lime marinade and served with bell peppers and onions.
PIN THIS STEAK FAJITAS RECIPE IN YOUR TEX-MEX, , QUICK AND EASY, AND BREAKFAST BOARDS ON PINTEREST. AND FOLLOW SWEET TEA & THYME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE TIPS, HACKS, AND TASTY RECIPES!
Summer grillin’, havin’ a blast!
Summer grillin’, happened so fast.
Wait, that doesn’t sound right. Wrong lyrics.
Steak Fajitas. They are highly requested around this household, and when I open the windows while cooking them, our neighbors’ kids will pop up asking, “Miss Brittany, what smells so good?” It’s the fajitas!
Cumin, bell peppers, garlic and onions make an irresistible smell that permeates the entire house. (And if I don’t open the windows, it stays overnight and makes my husband hungry in the middle of the night.)
This recipe will give you the secrets to making tough cuts, like flank and skirt steak, tender, flavorful, and incredibly juicy. Which is great, because no one wants to be tugging shoe leather out of a tortilla, amiright? And when you tell your friends it’s tenderized with a chipotle-lime marinade, they’ll be impressed, trust me. Even though it’s such a simple, easy thing to bring great flavor to your steak and veggies.
I need you to see this steak right here! See how pink it is? Do not over cook your steaks, people! If you decide to take your flank or skirt and cook it to medium well/well done, you just spent a lot of time tenderizing this meat just to end up with shoe leather anyway!
Just like Mexican Steak Bowls, steak fajitas are great for Taco Tuesday, and people love being able to put together their own plate of food, a la Moe’s and Chipotle.
Other Amazing Recipes for Taco Tuesday:
I don’t think you could ever go wrong with having fajita night at your house. Try it next time you are having a game night…*scribbles note to serve fajitas next game night*
Shop this recipe
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $42.99Was: $49.99
- Price: $9.99
- Price: $12.99
FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES, SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME!
AND LET’S CONNECT ON SOCIAL MEDIA THROUGH FACEBOOK, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM. I LOVE GETTING TO KNOW YOU GUYS!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Zest of 1 lime, peeled in strips
- Juice of 1 lime
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 cup fresh oregano, 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 1/2 lbs skirt steak, silver skin removed
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 or 2 bell peppers, sliced
- Sour Cream
- Refried Beans
- Pico de Gallo
- Put all marinade ingredients into a gallon sized plastic zip-top bag as well as the steak. Close the top with as little air as possible and massage the seasoning really well into the steak. Let marinate in the fridge at least two hours to overnight.
- About 30 minutes before cooking, take the steak out to rest to room temperature. Take out a grill pan to high heat and sear the steak for two minutes on each side.
- Turn heat down to medium-high and add veggies to the pan. Cook steak to medium rare (or preferred temperature); if outside gets too charred, use veggies as a bed to protect the steak.
- After cooking, let rest for 5-7 minutes on a cutting board. Slice against the grain and serve with veggies, tortillas, and toppings.