Mojo marinated churrasco, aka a marninated skirt steak with vibrant citrus flavors, is a Hispanic staple that needs to come to your grill this summer!
PIN this CHURRASCO recipe in your GRILLING, DINNER, LATIN, AND SUMMER MEALS BOARDS on PINTEREST. And follow Sweet Tea & Thyme on Pinterest for more tips, hacks, and tasty recipes!
Yes, I most certainly am a Southern Belle, honey.
But what you may not know is that I’m part Hispanic, my grandmother immigrated from Panama, I lived in Miami, Florida for most of my teenage years (EDIT: and have recently moved back as of 2016), and my husband immigrated to America from the island of Hispanola (Dominican Republic). So Hispanic food is really ingrained into me. So while I love Sweet Tea, I also love a good cup of Cafe con Leche in the morning. With ice, during these warm weather days of spring and summer.
Churrasco, or ‘grilled steak’ in English, is perfect for this time of the year. Summer just isn’t summer without a good steak and this recipe is perfect for Memorial Day at the end of the month, or Cinco De Mayo, since that’s coming up this week. Ooh, especially with a little chimichurri sauce poured over the slices of steak. Mmm. Or in some fajitas…
I’m just saying.
I like using skirt steak and flank steak for churrasco, that’s what’s usually used in general, but the cuts of meat are perfect for mojo marinated skirt steak; they are cheaper cuts and when cooked to medium rare and sliced thinly, are just too perfect. Not stringy, not leathery, not gummy, as long as you cut against the grain after it rests, it’s a glorious thing.
Step out and get on the grill this weekend, sit out with a glass of strawberry lemonade on your back porch, enjoy the soon-to-be summer days. As I tell my husband, just enjoy these little times. Too many people are go-go-go all the time, even while doing things we should be enjoying. Like grilling in the backyard! Sit and enjoy your cocktail, honey. Relax.
Make this a full meal with:
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME’S NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, PLEASE USE THE HASHTAG #SWEETTEATHYME ON INSTAGRAM FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED!
FOLLOW SWEET TEA AND THYME ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 2 lbs skirt steak, silverskin removed
- Juice of two oranges
- Juice of 1 lime and 1 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 yellow onion, grated to a paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Mix all of the mojo ingredients together
- Marinate steak in a plastic zip top with the mojo for at least 4 hours in the fridge. Overnight is best.
- Take the bag out of the fridge 45 minutes before cooking to rest. If using a grill, make sure the charcoal coals are white and hot. Grill 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- On a grill pan on the stove, use high heat. Sear the steak on each side for 3 minutes for medium-rare.
- Let meat rest on a cutting board or plate, covered with aluminum foil, for 10 minutes.
- Serve thinly sliced, topped with chimichurri sauce or in tacos or fajitas. Whatever floats your boat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 371 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 67mg Sodium: 986mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 7g Protein: 29g