Deconstructed chicken pot pie is an easy weeknight dinner with comforting chicken, veggies, and flaky individual puff pastry crusts! A family favorite!
PIN this DECONSTRUCTED CHICKEN POT PIE recipe in your DINNER, CHICKEN, COMFORT FOOD, AND WEEKNIGHT BOARDS on PINTEREST. And follow Sweet Tea & Thyme on Pinterest for more tips, hacks, and tasty recipes!
There is something so comforting about chicken pot pie. I don’t know what it is, maybe the flaky golden crust, the creamy gravy and delicious chicken and tender veggies scream, “Eat on a cold winter’s evening!”
I have my eye on a few gorgeous soup bowl ramekins to make classic chicken pot pie in, but for now I make it in a pot and bake the crust separately.
Why, you may ask? Because I find no reason to have a huge dish of chicken pot pie that you have to cut into and ruin that pretty puff pastry crust for leftovers. You cut the puff pastry into pieces and bake while the filling is simmering, and everything will be done at the same time while having beautifully crisp pastry to top a bowlful of piping hot chicken pot pie. It’s easy, it’s fast and oh so filling.
Hence the ‘deconstructed’ part of the pot pie. It’s an easy one pot recipe that I love so much since all the ingredients are inexpensive and usually right in your fridge, and a great alternative to chicken and dumplings or chicken soup when your sick. Chicken pot pie freezes quite well!
I buy puff pastry from the store, it’s easy to find in the frozen section. And while you can make it on your own, I find buying it to be much simpler and faster, and just as delicious. Just follow the directions on the packaging and you’ll have beautifully flaky crust for your pot pie in no time.
Another quick tip: I love to use leftover chicken. Just shred those roasted chicken pieces you cooked yesterday, and toss em in. Chicken pot pie is super simple after that, especially a deconstructed!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME’S NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, PLEASE USE THE HASHTAG #SWEETTEATHYME ON INSTAGRAM FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED!
FOLLOW SWEET TEA AND THYME ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, diced into bite sized cubes (or shredded, cooked chicken meat)
- 5 carrots, small dice
- 1 large yellow onion, small dice
- 3 stalks celery, small dice
- 1/2 to 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4-1/2 cup cream or half and half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/8 tsp turmeric, optional
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, you can use your average, everyday pie crust too
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Melt the butter in a high sided skillet on medium heat, then add your veggies in. Stir for 3 minutes, or until onions become translucent. Throw in your chicken, whether cooked or uncooked at this time. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and chicken, stir well, and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth while stirring vigorously, then add frozen peas and allow to thicken for about 10 minutes. Once it starts to thicken (may be sooner than ten minutes so keep an eye on it) add thyme, garlic, and pepper.
- Add your cream and turmeric, stir it up and allow to thicken again for a few minutes. If it becomes too thick, splash in some more broth or cream. Too thin, create a cornstarch slurry with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and a splash of water in a small container, whisk together with a fork to make a loose paste and stir it into the pot. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper if necessary.
- Cut your puff pastry into 8 equal pieces, cut into squares or rectangles, then whisk together the egg and water together for an egg wash. Gently brush it on to the pastry, place the pastry onto a baking sheet, and bake according to packaging instructions.
- Serve hot in bowls with puff pastry crust on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 585 Total Fat: 40g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 22g Cholesterol: 234mg Sodium: 809mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 36g
See y’all in the next post!