Miniature strawberry coffee cake muffins are not only topped with fresh strawberries, but have them mixed into the batter and are sprinkled with a divine sugar streusel. Welcome Spring!
I love freshly picked strawberries.
PIN this Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins recipe in your SPRING, DESSERTS, BRUNCH, AND POTLUCK BOARDS on PINTEREST. And follow Sweet Tea & Thyme on Pinterest for more tips, hacks, and tasty recipes!
In Florida, true You Pick farms are scarce and definitely not on schedule with the rest of the country. When we lived in D.C. and Virginia, strawberry picking started the 'You Pick' frenzy back up in my heart in May.
Throughout the summer, we'd return to the farms for peaches, berries, vegetables, and the fall called for pumpkins, more vegetables, hay rides until December, when we returned for our Christmas Tree.
Here, strawberry season peaks in late February and ends around Mother's Day. Go figure.
But since spring is brunch season and strawberry season is around the corner for most of the country, I wanted to bring you guys a fresh, springy, brunch recipe. I figured a mini coffee cake with fresh berries and sugary streusel on top would be an absolutely perfect to welcome spring 2017.
These adorable coffee cakes are easy to make, with simple, wholesome ingredients and the glaze brings a tangy-sweet brightness that can NOT be beat!
They are also equally delicious without the icing, and the zest within the batter will still lend that lemony zing to cut through and complement the sweetness of the fresh strawberries and buttery coffee cake.
Serve this up as soon as possible, these babies only last a couple days.
But they probably won't last more than a couple hours, anyway. They are that good.
For more great recipes, subscribe to Sweet Tea & Thyme!
And let’s connect on social media through my FACEBOOK PAGE, TWITTER and INSTAGRAM. I love getting to know you guys!
- FOR MUFFINS
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 11/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- FOR STREUSEL
- ¼ cup butter, cold and diced
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- LEMON ICING:
- 1 ½ cups confectioners, powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Either use a non-stick cooking spray to grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line each cup with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar together, then add lemon zest, egg, and vanilla. Whisk together well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture, mixing until flour is just combined each time.
- Add ½ cup strawberries to batter and fold in gently.
- Using a cookie scoop, spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Spoon remaining strawberries on top of the batter in tin.
- FOR STREUSEL: Using a pastry cutter or forks, blend streusel ingredients together until butter is pea sized. Sprinkle generously over the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes, let cool before serving.
- FOR ICING: Mix sugar, zest, salt and juice together in microwave safe bowl. Add butter, then microwave for about 30-40 seconds. Whisk to ensure no lumps with a fork. While icing is still hot, glaze the muffins. The icing will harden as it cools.
See y'all in the next post!
Eden Westbrook is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind Sweet Tea and Thyme. A classically trained chef, Eden has inspired home cooks into the kitchen with cultural comfort foods, easy family-friendly eats and sweets, and glorious spreads for date night and entertaining since 2015.