This carbonara recipe is creamy, decadent and oh, so good. A rich, creamy sauce with egg yolks and parmesan cheese mix into hot pasta, bacon, shallot, garlic and black pepper for a quick and easy dinner that is ready to impress anyone.
*This post has been updated with better content, better photos, and a clearer recipe. Thanks y’all!*
If I don’t know what to make for dinner – whether it be a random weeknight, for a small dinner party, or if it’s my turn to cook for date night- I’ll make this pasta carbonara.
This inauthentic carbonara has been online since 2015 (omg!) and I got plenty of hate mail about exactly how inauthentic it is. So mad about the garlic, the cream, the shallot, the pepper, the parsley.
So I have updated the photos and recipe.
To add more cream, garlic, pepper, and parsley. Haters are never going to get me down! Besides, too many of y’all have loved my recipe over the years to ever let it go.
And…I also have an authentic carbonara recipe coming. To appease everyone. Because haters need love, too.
And I have nothing against the authentic recipe, it’s just as delicious. It’s just not as creamy and saucy as this recipe.
Make this pasta carbonara a full meal by serving with:
When you have the bacon sizzling with the aroma of garlic and onion, everyone will come flocking, it just smells so inviting.
Then toss your pasta into the pan, and pour the egg sauce on, stirring quickly to ensure the eggs don’t cook at the bottom of your hot pan, and add pepper and parsley and serve.
See how easy that is? Cook your bacon while your pasta is boiling, and whisk your sauce together while they are going, and you’ll have a dinner dish in under 15 minutes.
Craving some pasta? I got the hook up:
Don’t forget to pin this pasta carbonara recipe!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME’S NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, PLEASE USE THE HASHTAG #SWEETTEATHYME ON INSTAGRAM FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED!
FOLLOW SWEET TEA AND THYME ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 12 oz pasta, spaghetti, angel hair, bucatini, preferred
- 1 cup pancetta OR thick cut bacon, diced (about 5-6 slices of bacon)
- 1 small yellow onion OR 2 shallots, small diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 4-5 egg yolks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Boil a pot of water with some salt. Add pasta once you are in the middle of cooking your bacon.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add your diced bacon. As the fat renders, add your shallots to cook in the bacon fat until the shallots become soft and translucent. about 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and add garlic, stirring to ensure it doesn't burn.
- While bacon cooks, whisk together the cream, parmesan cheese, and egg yolks in a medium bowl. When pasta is ready, remove it from the water and into the pan. Then add the cream-egg mixture and mix together well, making sure that the sauce coats all the pasta and doesn't stay on the pan. Season to your liking with salt, pepper and parsley.
- Add the cream-egg mixture to the hot pasta and mix together well, making sure that the sauce coats all the pasta and doesn't stay on the pan, or your eggs will scramble. Season to your liking with salt, pepper and parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 205mg Sodium: 360mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 15g