These crispy chicken sandwiches will satisfy any fast food craving. The chicken is juicy, flavorful, and the breading is extra crisp and crunchy! Paired with some homemade crispy fries? Just forget about the fast food joint, you won’t need it.
PIN THIS CRISPY CHICKEN SANDWICH RECIPE NOW IN YOUR RESTAURANT COPYCAT, CHICKEN, AND COMFORT FOOD BOARDS ON PINTEREST. AND FOLLOW SWEET TEA & THYME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE TIPS, HACKS, AND TASTY RECIPES!
How’s everyone’s resolutions going? *smiles in I-am-not-breaking-your-diet innocence*
I’ve been trying to keep Brian and Greyson away from the fast food. Ever since Greyson discovered a certain Toy Reviewing Youtuber, he’s been asking for Happy Meals…sigh…
I’m known for the more-than-occasional craving of a crispy chicken sandwich, I’ll admit that. It’s just good, you know?
Of course you know. That’s why you’re on this page.
Now, I’ll give you this: there’s a lot of space to move around in this recipe. Use whatever flavors you like in your fried chicken, whatever herbs, whatever spices. Even different It’s very much like my buttermilk-brined fried chicken recipe, in that I do brine it with a well-seasoned buttermilk. You don’t have to use buttermilk, you could use a salt water brine.
But I do suggest brining it for a short period of time because we are using thinly sliced chicken breasts. This will ensure that through the dredging and frying process, the chicken breast itself will remain juicy, flavorful, and tender.
This crispy chicken sandwich has two shining stars: the crispiness of the chicken and this garlic aioli. Those two things just make this sandwich perfect all by itself, and if you’ve never made aioli, it’s okay. You can find my recipe here. It’s easy as pie and so good. You won’t buy mayo ever again.
As for the crispiness, the secret is the cornstarch and baking powder. These ingredients help lighten up the batter so the crust is super crispy.
shop this recipe
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $27.50Was: $39.99
FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES, SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME!
AND LET’S CONNECT ON SOCIAL MEDIA THROUGH MY FACEBOOK PAGE, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM. I LOVE GETTING TO KNOW YOU GUYS!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 scallopini-style boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 sandwich buns, toasted
- Garlic Aioli
- Crisp Bacon
- Tomato Slices
- Your favorite greenery, such as lettuce (I used Butter Lettuce), spinach, arugula, etc.
- Cheese slices
- In a large bowl, whisk together all brine ingredients. Put the chicken breasts into the buttermilk brine and allow to soak for 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, pepper, granulated garlic and onion, paprika, cayenne, and oregano. Take two or three tablespoons of the buttermilk brine into the flour and toss the brine and flour together with a fork or whisk to create some chunky clumps of flour. This will help create better crag on your fried chicken.
- Dredge your chicken breasts through the seasoned flour mix, covering each side well in the flour. Set on a clean plate until all chicken is coated in flour. To make the crust extra crispy and crunchy, re-dredge by dipping back in buttermilk brine, shaking off the excess, and coating the chicken in flour once again, and allowing to rest on a plate, repeating until all the chicken is re-dredged. Let the chicken rest on the plate for ten minutes as your oil is heating up to temperature.
- In a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, heat 5-6 cups of vegetable oil to 325 degrees F. Have a wire rack sitting on a paper towel-lined baking sheet prepped and ready for the chicken.
- Once oil is to temperature, add two chicken breasts to the oil and allow to fry for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Place on the wire rack to drain the excess oil and cool.
- To melt cheese onto the chicken, top chicken with sliced cheese and place on a baking sheet. Put into the oven on low broil to melt the cheese. Keep an eye on it, melting won't take more than a minute or two.
- Assemble sandwiches with preferred toppings and garlic aioli smeared on both buns, top and bottom. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 418