Popular Bang Bang Chicken --seasoned bites of crispy chicken with the most awesome, creamy, sweet and spicy sauce-- is easily made at home in just half an hour!
Greyson is officially going to preschool this year. He's four, but was born late in the year so we had the option of putting him in preschool now and him going to kindergarten next year.
I'm not ready. Not emotionally. I know I don't discuss my family too much on here, I used to on my old blog. But maybe I'll start sharing a little more, because I know I can't be the only one looking at their child and wondering who this grown child is and where their barely crawling, two-toothed, wiggle monster who took two naps a day went.
PIN THIS BANG BANG CHICKEN RECIPE NOW IN YOUR RESTAURANT COPYCAT, CHICKEN, BACK TO SCHOOL, AND CHICKEN RECIPE BOARDS ON PINTEREST. AND FOLLOW SWEET TEA & THYME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE TIPS, HACKS, AND TASTY RECIPES!
Back to school food to me is (besides snacks and lunch that I need to send with him!) dinner that can be quickly made and kid-friendly without too much fuss. This is one of those recipes.
Bang bang chicken is chicken breast that it cut into cubes, dipped in seasoned milk and egg, well seasoned breading, and fried up. The sauce is creamy, a sweet, and just a touch spicy and really easy to make. It's mayo-based, with honey, sriracha, and sweet chili sauce, and you can mix each ingredient to your taste.
I don't know if it's the sauce or the crunchiness of the chicken, but whatever it is, this Bang Bang chicken recipe has been requested 3 nights over the last week.
Thankfully, one pack of chicken boobs covers that.
And we've been eating veggies with the dish every time. So it cancels out the fact we've been binging on crispy chicken bites covered in a creamy sweet and spicy sauce, right?
*Nods in mom* Right.
LOOKING FOR MORE KID-FRIENDLY MEALS? CHECK OUT:
Don't forget to PIN this recipe!
shop this recipe
[amazon_link asins='B00EXLOVU2,B0749KYFXX,B0727RGZF2' template='ProductCarousel' store='sweetteaandth-20' marketplace='US' link_id='2e1982e6-966f-11e8-94d2-e708d1d94bba']
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME'S NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try this recipe, please use the hashtag #sweetteathyme on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SWEET TEA AND THYME ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 cup vegetable oil, or more, as needed
- 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
THE SWEET CHILI MAYO
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 teaspoons sriracha, to taste
MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Whisk together mayo, sweet chili sauce, honey and sriracha in a small bowl, set aside.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Heat vegetable oil in a large high-sided saute pan, about 2 inches up the pan or half way up the pan, over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, egg, sriracha, salt and pepper.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, stir together flour, panko breadcrumbs, basil, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to buttermilk mixture, then use tongs or clean fingers to dredge a few pieces of chicken in the seasoned flour, and place on a clean plate. Repeat until all the chicken pieces are coated in flour and breadcrumbs and on the plate, ready to fry.
- Working in batches, add breaded chicken to your pan. When they begin floating, about 2 minutes in, let them cook for another minute until they are golden brown and crispy. Transfer with a spider onto a paper towel-lined plate to drain of excess oil. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- Serve immediately with sauce. You can dunk it, drizzle it on, paint it on with a brush, just don't skimp on it because it's so good!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339
Eden Westbrook is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind Sweet Tea and Thyme. A classically trained chef, Eden has inspired home cooks into the kitchen with cultural comfort foods, easy family-friendly eats and sweets, and glorious spreads for date night and entertaining since 2015.