Slow Cooker Carnitas are easy, simple and full of flavor. Throw in the slow cooker before work, come home and just put under the broiler for crispy, delectable, tangy and savory carnitas that are ready for Taco Tuesday!
PIN this CRISPY SLOW COOKER CARNITAS RECIPE in your DINNER, TACO TUESDAY, MEXICAN, AND SLOW COOKER RECIPE BOARDS on PINTEREST. And follow Sweet Tea & Thyme on Pinterest for more tips, hacks, and tasty recipes!
Have you guys seen this season of America’s Got Talent? Our little family watches it every year, we haven’t missed a season! Did you see the tape face guy? We were so shocked. Not joking, I wasn’t expecting that from him, he seemed like a total creeper but now I’m voting for him! And that old Elvis impersonator couple was so cute! I loved the lady, she had me hollering!
Anyway, America’s Got Talent always kicks off the summer for us, and in the summer I want to use the oven as little as possible. Especially since we live in Georgia. I’m a registered voter of ‘the heat is too damn high’ party; the moment you step outside it’s like you’re broiling!
Speaking of broiling…that’s the secret to crispy pieces of pork in this recipe. Although, it really isn’t much of a secret; slow cookers aren’t going to make anything crispy.
But these carnitas, oh my ‘lanta, are so good. Tender pork shredded up with tons of sweet and tangy flavor from the citrus JUICE, the savory spices, the rendered fat crisping everything up under the broiler…
Sorry, foodie daydreams took over.
Like pulled pork, slow cooker carnitas is an easy all-day recipe. So toss everything in, go to work, go to class, do your daily thing, come back, shred, broil, and eat.
Carnitas Meal Suggestion!
A carnitas taco is a fantastic idea with onions, guacamole, and other taco toppings. The best part of carnitas is that it’s so versatile and could be used in burritos, tacos, carnita bowls, etc. I’m particular to whipping up a carnitas bowl with cuban black beans, cilantro-lime rice, and tons of cheese. This recipe also makes a lot of carnitas, so freeze some in a freezer-safe bag for an easy weeknight dinner, or serve this up as a ‘build your own’ carnitas spread for a small dinner party.
Shop this Recipe
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $14.99Was: $24.99
- Price: $15.29
For more great recipes, subscribe to Sweet Tea & Thyme!
And let’s connect on social media through FACEBOOK, TWITTER and INSTAGRAM. I love getting to know you guys!
- 4-5 lbs pork shoulder also called boston butt
- 3 oranges' juice
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 limes' juice
- 2 white onions roughly chopped (extremely large chunks)
- 5 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix salt, chipotle powder, cumin, oregano, and pepper together, then rub generously all over the pork butt.
- Add all the ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours on low and 5 hours on high.
- Remove the pork and shred it with forks on a baking sheet. Spread the pork evenly across the baking sheet.
- Use a large ladle to spoon out the rendered fat and juices from the slow cooker over the pork evenly. Set your broiler on high and leave baking sheet beneath it for 5 minutes. Repeat two more times, then let rest until cool enough to eat.
See you in the next post!