Pan seared salmon with strawberry avocado salsa is a fresh and easy recipe inspired by my favorite sushi roll. It’s bright, refreshing, and flavorful; perfect for spring and summer weather.
Today I felt like grabbing some fresh salmon from the farmer’s market (never buy frozen, trust me) and having some pan seared salmon. Then I was thinking about how I love salmon sushi with strawberry and avocado and began chopping up some strawberries and avocados. Hence, this post. A lot of my posts are based off complete whims, you know.
Pan seared salmon was one of the first recipes I’ve ever taught myself when I first got married. At nineteen, I bought a cheap set of non-stick pots and pans and a cast iron skillet and got to experimenting. Here’s what I found about salmon: if you love good crispy skin, use a non-stick pan; if you want the skin off, use a cast iron skillet.
And if you want to completely ruin your salmon, use stainless steel, haha.
This dish is perfect, salmon cooked to a medium-rare (never overcook salmon, it will become a dry, nasty texture), seasoned perfectly, and…wait for it…a strawberry-avocado…it’s not really a salsa. Topping makes it sound like a pastry…Eh, I’ll call it salsa. It’s a strawberry-avocado salsa! And eaten with the salmon, the flavors coming together are too, too perfect.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 6 oz salmon fillets, skinless
- 8 strawberries, hulled and quarters
- 1 avocado, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice 1/2 lime
- Heat vegetable oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Dry the salmon fillets with paper towel then season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Place with 'skin' side down for 3-4 minutes, flip and cook for 3 minutes, or until middle is almost opaque. Plate.
- Toss the strawberries, avocado, and lime juice together and serve with the salmon.
Eden Westbrook is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind Sweet Tea and Thyme. A classically trained chef, Eden has inspired home cooks into the kitchen with cultural comfort foods, easy family-friendly eats and sweets, and glorious spreads for date night and entertaining since 2015.