Caramel corn is sweet, crunchy, and super easy to make! The homemade stuff not only tastes better, but is also much more affordable and makes a ton of it to share.
PIN THIS HOMEMADE CARAMEL CORN RECIPE NOW IN YOUR SNACK, MOVIE NIGHT, AND PARTY RECIPE BOARDS ON PINTEREST. AND FOLLOW SWEET TEA & THYME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE TIPS, HACKS, AND TASTY RECIPES!
This recipe hits all the points:
Knocks out the ‘need’ to buy the convenience items? That’s right.
You’d think to make caramel corn you’d be making a big mess, need a ton of tools and need special thermometers.
Nope, don’t need any of that. All you need is a pot, a baking sheet, parchment paper, and a silicone spatula. Go look in your kitchen and see if you got that. I bet you do, so let’s make some caramel corn!
The caramel is easy: butter, brown sugar, a little salt, some vanilla, baking soda, and…here’s where you may or may not agree: corn syrup. I say it’s optional, BUT I’ve found that the corn syrup makes things go a little smoother when it comes to coating the popcorn in that amazing, amazing caramel.
Seriously, just pop the corn, make the caramel, toss together (gently!), spread on the baking sheet, and bake at a low temperature for less than an hour.
That’s it. Stop paying $3.99 for a 2 cup bag of popcorn when you can make 10+ cups at home and make it taste better.
And don’t even think about buying it at the fair, because I promise this caramel corn tastes way, way better than the fair caramel corn. Just make it and bring it along, because once you taste this recipe, there’s no going back.
For more snacks you can make at home, check out:
shop this recipe
[amazon_link asins=’B005PP9ACY,B0764KR98C,B005H05ST6,B00LGLHUA0,B00K282KY4′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’sweetteaandth-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’479b46d9-38fd-11e8-a43d-cf77d90bffd8′]
FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES, SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME!
AND LET’S CONNECT ON SOCIAL MEDIA THROUGH MY FACEBOOK PAGE, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM. I LOVE GETTING TO KNOW YOU GUYS!
- 10-12 cups popped popcorn, preferably homemade, freshly popped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Mix brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stirring constantly with a heat-resistant silicone spatula, bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, then stir in vanilla and baking soda. Mix well; the caramel will become foamy and fluffy looking.
- Pour syrup over warm popcorn in a large mixing bowl, gently folding popcorn and caramel with a silicone spatula to coat evenly. Quickly pour popcorn onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread across the sheet to create a thin layer, as uniform as you can get it.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring the popcorn gently at the 15 and 30 minute marks.
- Let cool to crisp up the caramel, then break apart. Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe!
Eden Westbrook is the recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind Sweet Tea and Thyme. A classically trained chef, Eden has inspired home cooks into the kitchen with cultural comfort foods, easy family-friendly eats and sweets, and glorious spreads for date night and entertaining since 2015.