This caramel apple upside down cake is a rich, moist, easy to make cake covered in apples and caramel that’s made in one hour!
I get cravings for sweets pretty often.
You wouldn’t guess it, considering that Sweet Tea and Thyme is rich with pastas, soups, and breads both savory and sweet. But I have a huge sweet tooth, something I gained from my late granddaddy, Willie B.
So you know when the holiday season rolls around, so do the cakes, pies, and cookies. My bible study group consider themselves some lucky ducks this time of year.
So I made an apple galette to shoot the day before this, and because I only made one at the time, I had a ton of sliced apples left over. What was I to do with a bunch of thinly sliced apples covered in cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar and a batch of homemade caramel sauce?
PIN THIS CARAMEL APPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE RECIPE NOW IN YOUR BAKING, HOLIDAY, THANKSGIVING, AND FALL BOARDS ON PINTEREST. AND FOLLOW SWEET TEA & THYME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE TIPS, HACKS, AND TASTY RECIPES!
Make a caramel apple cake, of course! This cake is just so delicious and simple. The cake itself is a soft, moist, easy yellow cake that is just so fast to whip up and pour over the lovely apple slices that were nestled in the caramel lined cake pan. It bakes up beautifully, and the caramel soaked into the cake…ooooh, chile!
This is such a great, quick, low maintenance dessert, I made it for a weeknight dessert while my french onion pot roast was in the slow cooker. Let me tell you, if you want everyone to be at the table for dinner with no problems, tell them there is cake waiting afterwards. They’ll trip over each other on the way down the stairs.
Seriously, this was a quick and simple little recipe to throw together and I realized how perfect it was for Thanksgiving. Make this a day or two in advance or throw it in the oven while you’re feasting on turkey, and in 30 minutes you got an upside down cake to flip and serve. It’s a great alternative to apple pie for those who love cake way more than pie.
Are you team cake or team pie?
I just like dessert, honestly. I’m not going to say no to cake or pie. Who’s going to say no to free cake or pie?
Especially apple cake or pie.
Looking for more delicious apple dessert recipes? Check out:
Don’t forget to PIN this Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME’S NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try this recipe, please use the hashtag #sweetteathyme on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SWEET TEA AND THYME ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 1 cup caramel sauce, homemade or store bought
- 2 large Gala, Fuji, Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or HoneyCrisp apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray an 9 inch round cake pan with baking spray. Pour caramel into the bottom of the greased pan. Arrange the apples slices in the caramel.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set bowl aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat together 1 cup sugar and ½ cup butter on medium speed until fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla, then beat in dry ingredients, alternating with the milk, until the cake batter is smooth and creamy. Pour the batter over the apples and spread evenly.
- Bake in oven for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Run a butter knife along the edges of the cake and flip upside down on a large plate. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237