Thanks for joining me on the porch once again, y’all.
Where has this year gone? We’re already almost half way through, and almost into my favorite time of year *starts shaking the fall decorations box in the garage eagerly*.
So where have I been? Working.
Honestly, I love working. Blogging is my full time dream job. I’ve never been a conventional 9-5 type of person. I don’t like being told what to do, when to do it, how to do it, I like doing my own thing. It’s why I manage myself
The best part is that I can say “no”. It’s why I love entrepreneurship so much.
For many young people, especially women, we learn we can’t say no. Tell your boss no. Are you worried that you’ll have a job tomorrow? Exactly.
Blogging has brought me so many opportunities, so many new friends, and a new mindset from the ‘go to college, pray you have job security for 60 years, live off that $245 social security if it’s still around until I die’ thing that we millennials are kinda facing right now.
Anywho, let’s go ahead to talk about what’s going on in my head besides work.
I posted Sweet Tea and Thyme’s first layer cake! I’m doing more baking (isn’t that weird? During the spring and summer I’m baking more, hmm.) and April is not only my husband’s birthday, but also Sweet Tea and Thyme’s 3rd anniversary!
My favorite recipe this month is those ham and cheese sliders. OMG, if you haven’t made them yet you need to. They are so delicious, and a crowd pleaser amongst kids and adults.
That butter sauce tho? Oh, lord. So flavorful. I need to make some more this week.
Mediocrity and Beyonce just don’t mix
Y’all when Beyonce came out with that Beychella documentary, I was all the way here for it.
I know there’s plenty who think Beyonce is overhyped, but I found something I think is insane in the comments of an article. Some people were saying she was mediocre.
Now, let me explain something. I’m not some super Beyhive stan who attacks anyone who doesn’t praise Beyonce. But I’ve been following Beyonce’s documentaries for years (she has like 3 or 4 of them) and I’ve always admired somethings about her: her work ethic, her self-discipline, and her focus on legacy.
No one, I repeat no one, could say Beyonce isn’t dedicated to her craft, which is entertaining, and her self-discipline since she’s her own boss. She has no one forcing her to do anything and she doesn’t slack off, she gives her all. Accountability? From and for her damn self.
Not to mention how both her and Jay-Z are so financially literate and are trying to explain and show how to build financial abundance that lasts generations and teaching our community how to do the same, which is something I really feel strongly about.
So, Beyonce has set herself up to be in history books as the millennial’s Queen of Pop, she quietly does charity, she works her entire butt off in every aspect of her performances and music, and I really admire her as a person.
Yeah, also Formation is my jam. Not gonna lie.
As hard as she works, she is definitely not mediocre.
Cinco de Mayo Recipes!
Okay, so apparently Cinco de Mayo is more popular in the US than even in Mexico. Still, I’m not going to say no to a party. And tomorrow, my Mango Margarita Cheesecake goes live on Sweet Tea and Thyme. Excited? You bet I am.
Comment of the Month
When a recipe is called the best, I always have to try it to see if it really is. This really is! Sooo good — and the frosting adds a great level of sweetness without being too much!
Katie on the Best Carrot Cake
Thank you Katie! I used a cup of cornstarch rather than another cup of sugar into the frosting to create the needed texture and thickness without adding more sweetness to the frosting and losing that tanginess from the cream cheese. Glad you liked it!
Most popular recipes of the month!
Links, Vids, and Photos that I’ve been loving!
- The Miracle Morning is on kindle and I’ve been reading it every morning. What self-help books have you been reading or do you swear by? Would love to get more in my queue.
- I developed a Disneyland Copycat French Toast recipe for Yummly this month. It’s gorgeous and delicious, made with the homemade brioche y’all saw on Instagram. Check it out!
- Check out this mother’s day round up from Cooking Journey, featuring my Croque Madame sandwiches!
- This is my favorite morning meditation for focusing on success and abundance. It really gets me focused for my workday.
- My favorite podcast lately has been the Patrice Washington podcast: Redefining Wealth. She doesn’t take wealth as just an abundance of money, but happiness and prosperity in abundance. Love it.
- This video has me washing my face for a full minute. This woman is an esthetician who really gets deep into skincare. And, legitimately, those weird beside-the-nose pores that have always been noticable on me, are gone after.
- Speaking of skincare, this is my new favorite moisturizer. As a oily-skinned lady in a hot, humid climate year-round, this soaks in and actually moisturizes my skin without sitting on top of my face is a greasy way, which calms down that oil!
This Week’s Menu