Homemade Cheddar Bay Biscuits are just 20 minutes away! One bowl, one spatula, one pan wonder! Easy to make, using simple ingredients, and so tasty.
Baby, let me tell you about the first time I made these biscuits: I literally was transported to when I was five years old, the one time I ate at Red Lobster (my parents never again went into Red Lobster.) To be completely and bluntly honest, I really wouldn’t know anything about them without the commercials and my friends bringing the biscuits over when we hung out as teens. And since my husband Brian is allergic to shellfish we never go. In fact, he never experienced a Cheddar Bay biscuit and when he told me this, I was in shock.
There is something amazingly addictive about those Cheddar Bay biscuits. I know it’s because it’s a perfect equation of Salt+Fat+Texture, but I will just leave the science stuff out and believe it’s magic. 😉
While I don’t think Red Lobster has ever officially released their recipe, I’ve seen plenty of copycats over the years. Some call for Old Bay seasoning, some want Bisquick mix, some just gave up and told you to buy the official mix in the little packets or from the box. That’s not how I roll, honey. If I’m doing a recipe, I want it as ‘from scratch’ as I possibly can get without owning a farm and a mill.
What I love about this recipe is that there’s no kneading, no rolling out dough, no extra mess. It’s one bowl, one whisk, one spatula, one baking sheet. Boom, boom, boom. And the defining ingredient in this recipe? Smoked paprika, no lie. It is what will take you back to a booth with a giant plastic lobster caught in net hanging over you, promise.
Did I mention this is all done in twenty minutes?
Get your cheddar bay biscuits on, honey!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup buttermilk, warmed slightly
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 11/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, garlic powder, parsley, and paprika. In separate bowl (or large measuring cup) mix buttermilk and ½ cup melted butter. Pour into dry ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula until flour is just incorporated.
- Gently mix in cheese.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet, spaced 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Mix 3 tbsp melted butter, parsley and garlic powder and use a pastry brush to brush the mixture generously over the hot biscuits.
- Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes and serve.