Red beans and rice is a full meal all on it’s own; a big bowl of pure flavor and comfort, with smoky ham hock and spicy andouille sausage, veggies and beans, will fill you right up.
PIN THIS RED BEANS AND RICE RECIPE NOW IN YOUR DINNER, CAJUN, SOUTHERN, AND COMFORT FOOD BOARDS ON PINTEREST. AND FOLLOW SWEET TEA & THYME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE TIPS, HACKS, AND TASTY RECIPES!
Anyone else think in song a lot? The moment I wrote the title, Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-A-Lot popped into my head and I sang out the verse with …red beans and rice didn’t miss her!
Enough of my corniness, how are y’all doing? I’ve been seeing everywhere that people don’t want to see the stories or talking before the recipe.
*shrugs in blogger* That’s why I got my Jump to Recipe button. Just for y’all. The blog part is for my subscribers, for the people invested in little ole me, my internet friends.
The rest of y’all press the button and, as my grandma would say, “Go somewhere and git, nah.”
Anyway, today we are deep south and making red beans and rice. My mama makes some of the best red beans and rice, and you can’t tell her any different. They just taste so good! I’m so amazed how ingredients come together to make such magical things sometimes. Think about it: it’s beans. And rice. And veggies.
And glorious andouille sausage and ham hocks!
A big ole bowl of this is pure comfort food, especially if you’re from the South! You’ll just be taken back to being a child eating your first bowl of red beans and rice; this is full of rich flavor from the bell peppers and onions, the sausage and hocks, those spices?! all slow cooked together…like I said, it’s basically magic.
Not to mention how inexpensive it is to make. This is a great meal on a budget, and feeds a lot without feeling like a struggle meal.
Nobody wants to feel like they’re eating a struggle meal. We want to ball on a budget.
shop this recipe
Products from Amazon.com
FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES, SUBSCRIBE TO SWEET TEA & THYME!
AND LET’S CONNECT ON SOCIAL MEDIA THROUGH MY FACEBOOK PAGE, TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM. I LOVE GETTING TO KNOW YOU GUYS!
Red beans and rice is a full meal all on it's own; a big bowl of pure flavor and comfort, with smoky ham hock and spicy andouille sausage, veggies and beans, will fill you right up.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onions medium dice
- 1/2 cup celery chopped similar size
- 1 bell pepper medium dice
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 links andouille sausage chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb dried red beans soaked overnight and drained
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 ham hocks
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked white rice to serve
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and bell pepper and saute for 3-5 minutes. Add pepper, thyme, cayenne, and sausage and saute for another 3 minutes. Add in garlic, let cook for 30 seconds, then add red beans, chicken stock, water, ham hocks, bay leaf, and turn temperature up to medium-high to high, to bring everything to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer.
- Cook the beans and meat for 2-2 1/2 hours, until beans are tender and the meat is falling off the bone of the ham hock. Mash about 1/3 of the beans with a large spoon in the pot, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let rest for 10 minutes with the heat off to let beans thicken and cool enough to eat.
- To serve, ladle beans into a bowl, then spoon rice over the beans.
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe!