Avocado toast with lemon zest, spiced with smoked paprika, and topped with an easy, creamy poached egg. Avocados on toast won’t stop you from getting a house, I promise.
PIN this AVOCADO TOAST recipe in your BRUNCH, AVOCADO, QUICK AND EASY, AND BREAKFAST BOARDS on PINTEREST. And follow Sweet Tea & Thyme on Pinterest for more tips, hacks, and tasty recipes!
I’m an avocado toast hipster; I’ve been eating this stuff for years and years. It’s gotten a bad rap for being overhyped, overrated, and overpriced nowadays. There are expensive restaurants dedicated to avocado toast, entire Instagram accounts for avocado toasts, even millionaires are swearing that if we lay off the avocado toast that we’ll be able to buy our own homes with the money we save.
Well, I don’t know where I can buy a house for the equivalent of an avocado, a loaf of bread, a lemon and some seasoning, so sign me up wherever that is happening at!
I’m sure he meant eating out at restaurants that overprice a simple piece of toast with half an avocado fanned over it. I mean, I’ve seen them priced at $22, even! The actual audacity!
In my personal experience, avocado toast is not only pretty affordable to make, but it’s incredibly healthy and super delicious. The avocado is creamy and so flavorful with the lemon zest and garlic, and the richness of a poached egg on top is absolutely irresistible. Avo toast is perfect for brunch, and so, so good on top of a split open buttermilk biscuit. If you’ve never tried it, DO IT! You will change your brunch life.
This is so quick, and yes, easy. After you get your water to a lively simmer, it takes three minutes to poach that egg. And while it’s poaching, toast the bread lightly and slice up your avocado. By time your egg is poached and you pull it out to rest, you can assemble the avocado toast itself. Literally a dish made in under ten minutes.
We love avocado toast and season it with different things, kind of making an avocado eggs Benedict with Hollandaise some mornings, or even an eggs florentine with spinach and avocado. The variety that avocado toast brings is endless.
And none of them will cause you to go bankrupt. I hope.
Shop this Recipe
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $9.99Was: $10.99
- Price: $9.99Was: $14.99
- Price: $12.95
For more great recipes, subscribe to Sweet Tea & Thyme!
And let’s connect on social media through FACEBOOK, TWITTER and INSTAGRAM. I love getting to know you guys!
Avocado toast with lemon zest, spiced with smoked paprika, and topped with an easy, creamy poached egg. Avocados on toast won't stop you from getting a house, I promise.
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 2 slices of preferred bread I use Italian or Sourdough
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of half lemon
- 2 large fresh eggs
- Kosher Salt Freshly Cracked Pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder optional
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Bring a wide pot of water, about 3 inches worth of water, to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat. Gently crack the eggs into separate small bowls.
- Add the vinegar to the water and swirl the water using a slotted spoon, creating a little water tornado, then add eggs one at a time to the water (stop stirring!) and set a timer for 3 minutes. The water should only have gentle bubble columns in the water throughout the cooking time.
- Toast your bread, and slice your avocado. When the bread is done, plate them and place avocado slices as you like on the bread. Drizzle with lemon juice and lemon zest, if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste, avocado can be bland without seasoning.
- Pull poached eggs out of water once time is up, and let them rest on a paper towel for a minute to absorb the water on them. Place them on top of the avocado slices, one egg per toast, and season with garlic powder and paprika on the avocado and eggs.
- Serve immediately.
See y’all in the next post!