Breakfast gets a rich and trendy twist with creamy avocado toast and a poached egg spiced with smoked paprika. It’ll be your new breakfast favorite.
I actually do start my day with this on most mornings. It’s very easy and simple and it takes about five minutes to do while looking quite instagram worthy.
Avocado toast has been pretty trendy the last couple years, but avocados on toast have been part of my life since forever. It’s about time it gets it’s time in the lime light!
And don’t run away from the poached egg, I know a lot of people are really intimidated with egg poaching but with my tricks it is super easy.
First you will need a small, fine mesh sieve. Eggs from the store are usually grade A, which has just a bit of runny white. That runny white causes awkward feathering in your pot and can mess up your poaching, especially with more than one egg.
With the pot of water, I set the temperature to boil but I never let it get to boiling. If your temperature is too cold, you can end up with your yolk cooking while the albumin is just sitting there taking forever to cook.
Instead of risking that, I let the high heat run the water up to a very happy, somewhat excited, bubble where the little bubbles are making tiny columns. Then the temperature gets turned down.
You can absolutely put 2 teaspoons of vinegar in your water, but I’ve found it unnecessary as well as swirling the water around, since the whole point of both of those is to wrap the runny egg white around the yolk and congeal the egg white faster.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon
- Mesh sieve
- Mesh spider
- In saucepan or pot pour water about 3 inches high and set on stove on high heat. While waiting, crack egg and drain runny egg white in mesh sieve and set aside in a small bowl.
- When water is merrily bubbling, turn temperature down to medium low and pour egg into water as close to the surface as possible. Set timer for 3 minutes. Leave it alone.
- Slice up your avocado and toast your bread. Lay slices on toast and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze lemon to preferred tartness.
- When egg is done, remove with spider and set on paper towel to drain water. Afterward, place egg on toast and season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.