Homemade Olive Garden chicken and gnocchi soup with a rich and creamy broth, comforting chicken and veggies, and supple potato gnocchi will be your new dinner fave!
PIN this Chicken and Gnocchi Soup recipe in your SOUPS, ITALIAN, COMFORT FOOD, AND RESTAURANT COPYCAT BOARDS on PINTEREST. And follow Sweet Tea & Thyme on Pinterest for more tips, hacks, and tasty recipes!
This is my 3 year old son’s favorite soup.
No lie! And I don’t blame him! Chicken and gnocchi soup has even been requested to go on the meal plan rotation indefinitely, it’s that good.
We’ve never had it at Olive Garden, but I kept seeing it on Pinterest so I figured it had to be a sign to give it a try. And thank goodness I did. This is ultimate comfort food; it’s like chicken noodle soup got elevated, upgraded, and got hit with a dose of cream for good measure. And it’s got gnocchi!
You can’t beat gnocchi! Little pillows of delicious potato goodness, and they are so easy to make homemade! Check out my post on HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE GNOCCHI to see how to make your own fresh gnocchi. You can make many servings in one go and freeze them to have homemade gnocchi anytime.
I suggest using left over chicken thighs to make this an easy, quick weeknight meal. But roasting or pan-searing some boneless, skinless chicken thighs (and chopping them/shredding them) is a good same-day alternative.
I always use chicken thighs when it comes to soups and stews because they are harder to overcook than chicken breasts, have a lot of flavor, and are much more affordable than chicken breasts. It’s a win-win situation, but you can always use chicken breasts, if it’s your preference.
You can also replace the half and half with milk to make it lighter, though I say the veggies in the soup make up for it.
This chicken and gnocchi soup, with a nice slice of crusty bread (y’all know- I love crusty bread) is a match made in heaven. Especially when you’re sick. Chicken and gnocchi soup has healing powers, promise.
Here are some tools I used while making this recipe!
For more great recipes, subscribe to Sweet Tea & Thyme!
And let’s connect on social media through my FACEBOOK PAGE, TWITTER and INSTAGRAM. I love getting to know you guys!
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded or diced
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 28 oz chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 16 oz packaged gnocchi (or 8 servings homemade gnocchi)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, and carrots, if diced. Cook for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 3 seconds to 1 minute).
- Add flour and stir well for a minute to cook out raw flour. Splash in chicken broth, ½ cup at a time, whisking quickly to ensure no lumps. Pour in rest of chicken broth, half and half, (add shredded carrots at this time) and thyme, then allow to simmer for five minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium-high, almost to a boil, and add gnocchi. Let cook for 3 minutes, until gnocchi is cooked through and soup thickens. Toss in spinach and stir, then let wilt for 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then serve
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe!
Here are more Comforting Soup Recipes!
See ya in the next post!